Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Brian May Likes the Beatles!

Brian had a pre-recorded chat with Tony Iommi that aired on Planet Rock Radio. Brian talked about getting back to playing again, and discussed his record choices.

His first choice was The Who 'My Generation.'

2nd - The Beatles - I Wanna Hold Your Hand - he said it holds up very well, although at the time he considered it state of the art, but still holds up.

-------

TI: Brian's first choice - My Generation from The Who. Okay mate. What's - what have you got for number two?

BM: Number two, I've got The Beatles, because The Beatles are still my bible . . .

TI: Great choice, yeah.

BM: . . . how you feel about it, and I think 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' to me I think is just about the greatest pop song ever written, you know, and I don't say 'pop song' with any trace of sort of putting it down. I think, you know, to write a GREAT 3-minuter, is a great, fantastic challenge, you know, and I don't think anyone's ever done better than this. Again I remember hearing it the first time - I don't know if you do - but it was on Saturday Club. It was Brian Matthew - but I remember it was on my little radio at home. I remember hearing (makes noise of Do Do Dooo, Do Do Dooo") . . .

TI: Yeah.

BM: . . . and you couldn't tell where the first beat of the bar was . . .

TI: That's right.

BM: . . . and it threw me for quite a while and I thought, what an AMAZING way to start off a record and all that strange "Womp, womp, womp, womp, womp" sound, and it's just so direct. It's - it just reaches out and cries out to you. I mean it's gotta be John Lennon's hasn't it. You know, I mean, Lennon and McCartney, but I think I would say probably instigated by John. But I think it's unbelievable and still holds up.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails